November 28, 2012

Working on My Fitness


Let me just say, I am not a sports girl. My sister was basically born with running shoes on her feet. I was born wearing tap shoes. Don’t get me wrong, dancing is hard work. But even after all my hours at the dance studio, nothing scared me more than gym class. I was always afraid I would mess up, trip, or show my lack of hand-eye coordination. As an adult, this translated into being afraid of the gym. It was filled with scary looking equipment and really fit people. Several months ago, I decided to face my fears and join the gym. Slowly but surely, I started to like the gym. It was hard at first but it is worth it. 

What I learned at the gym:
1.   No one is perfect. Don’t worry if you need to ask for help with a machine or struggle a little in your first class. Chances are no one even noticed.
2.   It’s okay to sweat. Everyone does it.  
3.   There is something for everyone. You can join a rec league, run with a friend, take a class, or walk.
4.  You can make “gym friends.” I kept running into the same people since we all went to the gym at the same time. It can be a great way to meet people. The same goes for sports, dance classes, and other activities.
5.   Music matters. Nothing pumps me up like a killer playlist.

Want to get fit but don’t know where to start? Many age levels have a Healthy Living badge to help you get started.
Brownies- My Best Self
Juniors- Staying Fit
Cadettes- Eating for Beauty
Seniors- Women’s Health

No comments:

Post a Comment