February 7, 2013

Welcome to our Book Club!

Quite a few of us on the program team here at GSOH love to read, so let’s start our own book club! At the beginning of the month, we’ll announce our selection, along with a challenge or fun activity. Toward the end of the month, we’ll post a few questions and fun discussion topics that you can debate in the comments section. We’ll even take suggestions for the next month’s book selection!

So, I’m proud to get our new book club rolling with our first selection ….
Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli

Here’s the publisher’s back cover description:
Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High, the hallways hum with the murmur of "Stargirl, Stargirl." She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first.
Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. In this celebration of nonconformity, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli weaves an emotional tale about the perils of popularity – and the inspiration of first love.

I have to admit, it’s not normally something I’d pick up and read (I’m more of a sci-fi/fantasy fan), but I fell in love with this magical tale and I hope you will too!
In fact, reading Stargirl inspired me to try a little experiment this month. Stargirl’s happiness made me think about my own happiness, which got me thinking about the
Science of Happiness badge for Girl Scout Cadettes. Have you seen this badge? It’s so cool! I read through the requirements, and I’m inspired to try one of the badge activities. Here’s the challenge – will you try it, too?
Stop and smell the roses! Pay attention to the little things that make you happy. Try taking mental photographs of the things you love throughout your day – it might be a pretty sunset, a fuzzy dog, or a food that tastes really good. Record three to five things every day.

I think I’ll track my daily three via photographs, or maybe a private board on Pinterest. How are you going to track your daily three?

No comments:

Post a Comment