January 20, 2014

Hello from the new Intern!

Hello Girl Scouts! My name is Rena Kircher. I am studying Outdoor Recreation and Education at Ohio University and as part of my graduating requirement, I needed to intern at a place that related to my studies… So I chose Girl Scouts!

I grew up in Upper Arlington, and was in Girl Scouts through Brownies and Juniors, but then stopped for a reason that I cannot remember. Growing up, my family was always outside. My parents own property in the Hocking Hills that my family and friends would go camping at many weekends in the year. Along with these small camping trips, every vacation my family took was camping… we went to many of the national parks in the country along with traveling overseas.

I have loved the outdoors for as long as I can remember, but it was not until the last big vacation my family took that I realized it was what I wanted to do, and that it was possible to study at College as well! My family as a last family vacation before College for me and Work for my brother, we went to New Zealand! We were there for 6 weeks and toured both islands. This has always been a big dream of mine to go to New Zealand ever since Lord of the Rings was filmed there as well as the knowledge I had about their amazing environment and culture.

We went all over the place in New Zealand, including my favorite areas: Milford Sound, Te Anau, Fox Glacier, Queens Town, Mt. Cook, etc.

After I came back from New Zealand, I was able to really focus on what I loved: the outdoors. I got to take classes like Wilderness Living Skills, Canoeing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Navigation, etc. And those were just the skills classes. I took other classes like Challenge Course Programing, Recreation Leadership, Recreation Programming, Expedition planning and Management, etc. All of these classes have helped me prepare for what I will be doing as a profession after I graduate.

To help me get some experience in the field, I got a job with Big Brothers Big Sisters Camp Oty’Okwa. The experience I gained from working with at-risk youth will help me through any challenge that I go through. Part of this camp is lots of hiking as the activity that takes part that day, they would only have free time in the afternoon and evening, the day was spent teaching them about the world outside of the City.




I will be with Girls Scouts till the end of April and I know it is going to be great experience for me!

1 comment: